Mammano & Mulvihill, PC
Free Consultation: 856-336-5949 / 866-599-6461

New Jersey medical supply co-defendant in malpractice suit


Hospitals are to be a place that look out for your health and well-being. However, sometimes things are overlooked at hospitals and these mistakes can cause severe harm or even death to a patient. For example, one woman, who was treated at a hospital, died due to a bacterial infection her family members claim was contracted from that hospital's surgical device. The hospital even went as far as to notify other patients who had come in contact with the surgical device that they should be checked for the bacterial infection.

According to the details of the lawsuit, the woman was treated at the hospital and at the time of treatment the hospital used a 'duodenoscope' in order to aid with a medical procedure. The woman then contracted an antibiotic-resistant bacteria called carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae, or CRE. The family claims the CRE was on the medical equipment because it was not properly cleaned and maintained prior to the operation.

This is where the New Jersey medical supplier comes in. The New Jersey medical supplier sold the duodenoscope to the hospital and the family claims the design of the equipment prevents the equipment from being properly cleaned. This is a two-fold medical malpractice suit with accusations being made against both the hospital and the medical supplier. There may be other deaths connected to this bacteria and the equipment it was contracted from.

While many things can go wrong in the hospital, this is a death that appears to have been preventable. The duodenoscope may have helped save many lives, however, its design is inherently dangerous if it is unable to be properly cleaned. This would put patients at risk by exposing them to all kinds of infections that could be passed from patient-to-patient. It seems the family has a legitimate claim against both the hospital and New Jersey medical supply.

Source: The Chicago Sun-Times, "Family sues Park Ridge hospital in 'superbug' death" Tina Sfondeles, Sep. 1, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information